Saturday, February 23, 2008

SSRS - SQL Server Reporting Services Scheduling Error

I've worked with SSRS 2000 and 2005. I have done very little in the way of report creation using SSRS. Mainly have used the Report Manager to schedule subscriptions. I also have dealt with issues on the SQL side of SSRS. My role related to SSRS has been the support of the existing infrastructure for SSRS.

Error 8198 - The job failed. Unable to determine if the owner (domain\username) of job myjob has server access (reason: Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'domain\username'. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 8198)).

If running the SSRS Report Server service under a network account, you will be unable to schedule reports. The work around for us was to change the SQL Agent job owner to 'sa'. The issue is that once you change the owner to 'sa', you are no longer able to change the job's schedule from reporting services without changing the owner of the job back to the network account used to run the Report Server. So, I created a few shared schedules in SSRS and changed those jobs to an owner of 'sa'. I just assign one of these schedules to my reports. The only time I have to change the owner of a job is when I am changing or creating a new schedule within the Report Manager. I believe this issue will go away in SQL 2005 SSRS but haven't tested it out. If you do test it and find it resolves the issue let me know and I will update the site.

After resolving the issue above I found an article on Microsoft's website that states the cause and workaround. Click here to read it.

No comments: